HILLCREST SPORTS GROUP
BRIAN STEELE MEMORIAL TOURNAMENT RULES
1. All Hockey Canada and GTHL rules & regulations apply except where modified by tournament rules.
The Tournament Director and/or Committee have final say on all rules and regulations and/or the
interpretation of those rules.
2. Referee’s decision is final. No protests will be heard on a referee’s decision.
3. All fighting Majors, Match Penalties and GRM21 penalties will result in IMMEDIATE
SUSPENSION from the tournament (this includes the semi-finals and finals).
4. The game clock will continue to run during the game if fighting occurs
5. All teams must register at the tournament office at least 45 MINUTES PRIOR TO THEIR FIRST
SCHEDULED GAME. There is an office at each venue.
6. The following documents must be submitted or presented to the tournament office prior to the start of
the first scheduled game in order to register your team:
a. Approved Tournament Travel Permission Form issued by your governing body ( e.g. GTHL,
OMHA, USA Hockey ).
b. Approved Team Roster ( e.g. GTHL, Alliance, OMHA or equivalent player registration cards )
for current season with all registered players and must include all certificated and registered
c. No team official or player will be allowed to play or participate in the tournament unless they are
on an approved roster ( NO EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE )
d. When using Affiliate Player (s), an approved roster of the team that you are authorized to call up
from must be presented when you register at your first game. The Affiliate player’s name does
not have to be added to the game sheet until the game that the player is being played in.
7. All Hockey Canada, GTHL rules and regulations will apply. ( The Rule for 15 registered players is not
in effect for this tournament )
8. All teams must be prepared to commence their games a minimum of 15 minutes prior to their scheduled
start time, throughout the tournament.
9. All teams are responsible to bring their own locks for the dressing rooms. Tournament organizers and
representatives are not responsible for lost or stolen articles. A team official is to be near the dressing
door to ensure an ejected or injured player is let into the room immediately.
10. Game duration: stop time in minutes:
a. U10 - U13 Round Robin Games 12-12-12
b. U10 - U13 Semi Finals and Finals 12-12-15
b. U14 - U18 Round Robin Games 12-15-15
c. U14 - U18 Semi Finals and Finals 15-15-15
11. Pre-game WARM-UPS:
a. The warm up will be posted at 3 minutes and will not stop until the first stoppage of play.
b. The clock will not be stopped until the first stoppage in play, this will allow all games to begin
on time and prevent any untimely delays.
c. Should a team not be ready when the referee blows the whistle to start the game, the offending
team will begin the game with a 2 minute penalty for delay of game.
12. Ice will be flooded prior to the start of each game or as per arena schedule
13. If there is a 5 goals or greater spread, from the start of or at any time during the 3r d period, the clock will
continue to run. Should the spread be reduced to 3 goals the clock will revert to stop time.
14. POINT SYSTEM:
a. WIN = 2 points
b. TIE = 1 point
c. LOSS = 0 points
d. Maximum points per game = 2 points
15. Ties in round robin standings will be broken as follows:
a. The team with the most wins
b. The winner of the round-robin game between (2) two tied teams gains the
higher position. (If 3 or more teams are tied, move to c)
c. The team with the highest percentage of goals for divided by the sum of goals
for and goals against.
d. The team with the fewest goals against.
e. The team with the most goals for.
f. Team with the least number of penalties.
16. Playoff Format:
a. Top 4 teams in each Category ( not Division ) will advance to the next round.
17. Overtime: Semi Finals and Championship Games only stop time:
a. 5 minutes with 3 on 3
c. The first team that scores during any time of the overtime wins the game
18. The Head Coach of each team is responsible for reviewing and ensuring the game sheets are correct and
ensuring that players or team officials are not on the bench while serving a suspension. Tournament
organizers are not responsible should a team play a suspended player or have a suspended team official
on the bench.
19. It is the responsibility of the coaches and team officials to ensure that there are 2 team officials ( or
designated parents ) in the dressing room with the players at all times, from the time the players enter the
room to the last player leaving. Should there be damage to the dressing room when you enter please
advise the tournament coordinators or arena attendants to check the room.
20. Should a game sheet show an incorrect score or have an incorrect player as suspended, the Head Coach is
to bring the concern to Andy Schiavone 416-419-6963 or email Andy at
21. Time Outs - one 30 second time out per team in the semi- finals and finals only.
22. Should any game(s) be cancelled due to circumstances beyond the organizers control w e will t ry to
reschedule the game(s).
23. All injuries are to be reported to the tournament office. Should an ambulance be required for an injured
player the Tournament office must be informed.
24. The Hillcrest Sports Group and/or its sponsors, directors, members, other clubs or individuals assume no
legal liability for injuries or other loss as a result of participation in or traveling to or from the Brian
Steele Memorial Early Bird Tournament. All coaches, managers, assistant coaches, legal representatives
or teams officials, hereby agree and will abide by all tournament rules and regulations as set forth by the
25. It is the responsibility of each team to read the rules and if the rules are not clear please email the
chairperson for clarification when applying.
26. No refunds once teams have been accepted (no exceptions)
27. Teams must use our sponsor hotels for the tournament. For scheduling purposes the teams are to advise
us which hotel they are staying with their team prior to July 15th
28. In the event that games are cancelled due to circumstances beyond the tournament's control every attempt
will be made to reschedule the games affected, if it is not possible to reschedule the games then the
affected team's will receive 1 point each and a score of 0-0.
29. Should a team have to forfeit a game, the forfeiting team will be credited with a 1-0 loss and the opposing
team will be awarded a 1-0 win and 2 points.
30. The Hillcrest Sports Group ( Brian Steele Tournament Committee ) shall have the prerogative to render a
decision under any emergency situation.